[Apologies for my infrequent posts here lately but this should explain why.]
On the day I purchased my 3D printer, I also bought a print-it-yourself quadcopter kit. It was technically a mistake on my part because the designs in the kit aren’t compatible at all with the 3D printer which was literally kiosk’d together and a mere foot from each other, suggesting otherwise. So the kit’s been sitting here for a full year now.
I design things. I should be able to design a quadcopter myself. Having been a former software development contractor for the actual company which sells and distributes these kits I can say with 100% transparency: they have no evidence of one of these quadcopters ever successfully taking to the sky. It never worked as designed.
So I’m designing a radically-new quadcopter. I knew a few things about flying since I was in the Air Force once upon a time. It took a few iterations for the propeller mounts but that part is now perfected and the four printed/assembled.
Next up, the enclosures for each propeller had to be created. I spent a fair amount of time on this stage and have the sixteen related parts all printed; they look great.
I may need to source and replace the underlying controller board which would normally go into the copter itself. I note that the “new” part in my kit shows signs of having four strands of LEDs soldered, then summarily clipped off at the board. This is not a new part at all. Initial testing shows me that it doesn’t respond to the remote. I must assume that the vendor who sourced the parts to the aforementioned company just packaged in used/refurbished materials. They must have assumed that nobody would be the wiser.
I note that the “new” part in my kit shows signs of having four strands of LEDs soldered, then summarily clipped off at the board. This is not a new part at all.
Step by Step…
All in all, it’s coming along well. It’s a sexy beast and I’ve got things modular enough to be able to tweak it later when the need arises.
Sorry that there are no pictures but I’m in stealth mode on this one.