I still haven’t chucked the original Robo C2’s plastic print bed. You’d have thought that I’d changed that out by now since an uneven print bed is a recipe for poor adhesion. But I did just make a very good upgrade and still stayed with that stock part: manual leveling in each of the corners.
For this upgrade, there’s more than meets the eye. There are actually 36 new parts here on this one. At least you can see two of them from this first photo.
I designed/printed the two blue pieces (per corner) and other than the aluminum hex bolt, the rest came from Ace Hardware. I made all the springs by cutting down a longer one of the correct diameter.
Both sides include a spring to keep everything tight. The acorn nut is stainless steel so that it can attach to the stock print bed’s magnets. Tolerances are exacting since there’s a mere 8.6mm space below the platform before hitting the chassis itself and the z end-stop adjustment is impossible on this printer.
I’ve just combined this upgrade with a new Manual Bed Leveling plugin by jneilliii, for the win. Having just manually leveled, followed by the printer’s standard IR-based auto-level routine, it’s now much better than before. Fortunately, today’s upgrade doesn’t get in the way of the Cantilever Stability Upgrade from before. They both coexist in the same space.
I designed a test part to fill the printer’s available space and when it started, was able to tweak the settings again for perfect adhesion of that critical first layer. Normally, I’d accept poor quality of a raft’s first layer as just part of this printer. But it’s behaving now and I’m glad I put the work into it.