mobile app for the robo

I’ve written a new mobile app for the Robo C2 and Robo R2 set of printers by Robo 3D, a local San Diego—based company.

Robo-Home

Details

It’s written in the Adobe PhoneGap (Cordova) platform with Framework7 for the styling and scaffolding. It communicates to the underlying OctoPrint interface inside the printer itself. Rather than building several smartphone apps and being subject to the recurring annual developer fees by Apple/Google/Microsoft, I intend to serve it up in a more economical way: embed another single-board computer inside the printer.

PiZero

This will fit nicely on a $10 Raspberry Pi Zero W computer, as shown. It’s then powered by the USB 5V supply inside the printer and would be powered on every cycle. I’d then use my iPhone’s or iPad’s browser to simply connect to the app.

Progress

The app is fully-functional for the Robo C2 printer and sports a slick-looking interface.

Repository

Screenshots

And here are some obligatory screenshots of the app.

Robo-LeftPanel

Robo-Motors

Robo-Files

 

small screen for the raspberry pi 3

I thought I’d do some prep work for a project that I’d like to finish before the Christmas break:  a time-lapse rail kit for the Nikon D750 DSLR camera. I’ll be going to Arches National Park in Utah for that week and wanted to do some astrophotography and sunset time-lapse videos. Here’s vaguely what the rig will look like:

pi-lapse

This photographer/inventor David Hunt has done a pretty good job on his rig and has produced some stunning videos. I hope to take things up a notch since I have access to a 3D printer and a variety of extruded 80/20 aluminum rails from ActoBotics, for example.

Oh… and the entire rig will need to be portable since I’ll likely be backpacking it into the park. Fortunately, I have a sewing machine and a good supply of marine-grade canvas to create something to hold and carry all of this.

TFT

Fortunately, Fry’s Electronics sells some of what Adafruit has to offer and in this case, it’s a tiny TFT screen with a touchscreen built in. It’s technically called a “Pi Hat” since it connects right to the top of a Raspberry Pi 3, for example.

adafruit-1601

I’ve got it connected to a Raspberry Pi 3 and have inserted a new 4GB microSD card for this project and furthermore, have loaded Raspbian Jessie Lite for that image. Although my version won’t have a nifty graphical desktop like the photo above, it will still run touch-based graphical menus.

Python

Looks like I’ll be using the Python programming language for this project. I’d prefer JavaScript but I only have a few weeks to get this “production-ready”, so to speak.

Kivy

The next step in developing graphical menus which respond to touch is to install the Kivy  framework for Python. The menu should allow you to set some configuration options for the spacing of the photos, the number of photos for the series and things pertinent to stepping the camera along the rail using a motor. Finally, there would be start and stop features for each session as well as on-going status.

Nikon

The Nikon D750 has a remote-shutter system and I’ve managed to find a good third-party version of the cable which should come in handy for this. I’ve spec’d out that interface so I should be able to remotely fire off the camera from the Raspberry computer.

Overall

This should be a fun project. I hope I can finish it in the perhaps five weeks left before Christmas break.

words are loaded pistols

That title quote is by Jean-Paul Sartre but I was torn between that one and the following for this post:

One great use of words is to hide our thoughts.

~ Voltaire

Scrabble tiles

Was thinking it would be fun to design/print a Scrabble set this morning. And while it was printing I thought it would be even cooler to print extra letters and use them for signage, say, on your desk at work or something. Pretty awesome toy if you think about it; you could have a mugful of letters on your desk and say how you feel on any given day.

I had to tweak Cura’s (slicing software) printer profile to get the holder to print within the print volume since it’s pushing the limits. And I used the new GetToDahChoppa program I wrote for the multi-color printing.

DSC_0227DSC_0214DSC_0225